Wednesday, December 08, 2004

600 resumes later, the ants have finally left. Now I shall make Perogies!!

Apparently, the IT industry is picking up. Yup. That's what they are saying! Well, someone should tell that to the HR people who are blatantly ignoring my resume. I can`t wait to get some of that momentum the IT Industry is supposedly experiencing. I lost count after 200, but I am pretty certain I must have sent over 600 resumes. Hell, I am so desperate right now, I am even applying for jobs as a simple SQL Programmer.

However, curiosity has gotten the best of me, and recently I applied to NavCanada to become an Air Traffic Controller. *shiver* I figured after working at IATA, I can handle any stress anyone can throw at me. I have my first part of the selection process tomorrow, Thursday. I will be attending a 4 hour long aptitude test. So cross your fingers everyone, this job actually pays money (as opposed to peanuts).

I know, I know. There is no rush. I still have over 6 months of EI left. (For those who don`t know, EI is the the bi-weekly checks I receive from the government because I got laid off last august. I paid into the EI system for over 14 years. Trust me, my bi-weekly checks do not take that into consideration.) So, I have to stretch my meager earnings into somewhat of a life.

And there is something to be said about not doing anything all day. It gets old. Quick. I am so bored sometimes, I get on my own nerves. My apartment, although I am not there as much as you might suspect, has never been this clean. Ever. The ants have moved out. There is not a single ant to be seen. I think I finally vacuumed the last one out. My mother told me to sprinkle pepper around to kill them. I think that helped. Thanks mommy.

Oh by the way...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! BOY YOU ARE OLD NOW :)

HEHEHEHEHEHEH

So, what else is going on. Well, as I have mentioned in a previous blog entry, I started swimming again. THANK GOD. Well, actually, I should thank my friend Ryan who called me one day to see if I wanted to go swimming with him. Well, next thing I new, I was back into the swing of things. I have lost 10 pounds in a bit over 2 weeks. Woo hoo.

Our curling club is officially well into its activities. My curling team is doing well still! We are currently in 4th place in our league. That is fantastic, 3 wins 2 losses and 1 tie game. I am very happy with our performance, mind you if our skip would actually have a curling percentage over 10% for a change, we might do better. Lately I have seen my curling game improve greatly. I managed to throw, successfully, a tap back, a double take-out and a triple take-out. I am very impressed. At this rate, I will be at the Bryer in no time! :)

So, only 18 more days till xmas is over. Thank God. I will not be going to NB this year, as my financial situation will not permit me such frivolous expenses. I came to this decision recently. But I think it will be nice to have some time in Montreal with James anyway. I actually like walking around Montreal, downtown, on Christmas day. Things are quiet, nice and relaxed.

Oh.. And just one more thing: A Recipe for Perogies.

Ingredients
2 tb Butter
1 Onion; sliced
Sour cream


---------------DOUGH--------------------
3 c Flour;all purpose
1 1/2 ts -salt
1 Egg
3/4 c -water, approx.
4 ts Vegetable oil


--------------FILLING-------------------
1 tb Butter
1/3 c Onion; finely chopped
1 c Potatoes; cold mashed
3/4 c Cheddar cheese; shredded
1/2 ts -salt
1/4 ts -pepper

Instructions
1. DOUGH: In bowl, combine flour with salt. Beat together egg, water and oil; stir into flour mixture to make soft but not sticky dough that holds together in a ball. If necessary, add 1 Tbsp more water at a time, being careful not to make dough sticky. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times or till smooth. Halve dough, cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth. Let rest for 20 minutes.

2. FILLING: Meanwhile in skillet, heat butter over medium heat, cook onion for 3 to 5 minutes or till tender. Transfer to a bowl, add mix in potatoes, cheese, salt and pepper. Working with one portion of the dough at a time, and keeping the remaining dough covered, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/16" thickness. Using 3 inch round cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place 1 tsp filling on each round. Lightly moisten edge of one half of dough with water, pinch edges together to seal and crimp attractively. Place on cloth; cover with damp cloth to prevent drying out. Repeat with remaining portion of dough.

3. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook perogies in batches, for 1 1/2 hr to 2 minutes or till they float to top, stirring gently to prevent perogies from sticking together or to bottom of pan. With slotted spoon remove to colander to drain. In large heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat, cook onion for about 5 minutes till golden. Add perogies and toss to coat and warm through. Serve with sour cream.

MAKES ABOUT 30 PEROGIES.

Variations: Cottage Cheese: Combine 1 cup press cottage cheese, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1 Tbsp chopped green onion. Mushroom: In skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat, cook 3 cups chopped mushrooms and 1/3 cup finely chopped onion for 7 to 9 minutes or until moisture has evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in 1 egg yolk and 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Source:_Canadian Living's Country Cooking_by Elizabeth Baird posted by Anne MacLellan

No comments: